Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Home one month today

Well we have been home with Mei Lin for one whole month today. It has been a very up and down month for us...with good days and bad days. Today was our best day yet...Mei Lin slept through the night, didn't cry, scream or fuss...and mommy didn't growl (I hate being the bad cop!). She was just adorable all day long!! I just love her!! Yummy Yummy!

I have decided that I will write a New Years wish/letter for Mei Lin every year. So here goes my first letter to dearest Mei Lin:

To my little munchkin Mei Lin:

As I say to you nearly every day...."Thank you for coming". Thank you for blessing mommy and daddy's lives with your presence. You are a brave little girl, a survivor and my hero.

You have been through more things in your first 22 months of life, then most people have in their entire lives. People have come and gone in and out of your life so many times, and one day you got on a bus and drove for 3 hours to a strange building with many crying children...and your nanny passed you to a stranger, someone you couldn't understand, looked different, smelled different, and you left everything you knew that day. You came to a strange country half a world away...where nothing was familiar. You have been so brave.

Your past is unknown, but I promise you, your future is certain. You will have everything you will need to accomplish your dreams, we will provide you with all the love and guidance to get you where you deserve to be.

You have a big year ahead of you. There will many firsts for you. We love watching you discover new things...you get such a twinkle in your eye!

This new year starts with many new challenges for you. Next week you are scheduled to have tubes put into your ears...and then more appointments with lots of other doctors, and of course your surgery to repair your cleft palate in the next few months. You are a survivor, and I know you will do well. I will be right beside you.

My wish for you this new year, is that you feel a sense of home in this strange place half a world away and that you feel safe here with your new mommy and daddy. Everyone loves you sooo much Mei Lin!

Love Forever,
Mama

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is just beautiful,it truly is.what a wonderful keepsake for your daughter.Love the updates and photos of your BEAUTIFUL little angel.

Hope you all have a wonderful 2007
from Saint John,NB
the Mahoneys

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm typing through my tears for sure!!! Such a beautiful letter and I echo some of your sentiments/thoughts as well.

Happy New Year from our family to yours....

Jody, Doug & Olivia McKenzie

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful letter Natalie thank you so much for sharing it.

Tao's Mommy said...

Oh Nat what a wonderful idea!! That is such a beautiful letter to Mei Lin. When she is older she will look back and treasure those for life!!
Thanks for sharing that!!

Anonymous said...

You certainly have a way with words, that is such a moving letter. Second time today you have made me cry! This morning on Island Morning they replayed your interview with Nancy Russell. I am thrilled for you both, she is just adorable.

J Brant said...

What a beautiful idea, I will have to remember to do that. Your words made me cry tears of happiness for such a beautiful girl and wonderful forever family. Thanks for sharing that and thanks also for your kind words on my blog, that meant a lot.
Happy New Year,
Love,
Jen